Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cheese is all you need...

So Larry isn't great on lead. He starts off pulling strong, but eventually settles down. 

Part of our routine is to make the dogs sit if they pull. 

In our house, the best course of action is, "if in doubt, sit." 

Unfortunately, Larry hasn't learnt that memo yet.

Larry: What?! You are making accusations, mummy. And I am completely, and utterly innocent.
I do not know what you are talking about..
We would go on a walk, and the 'sit' command was hit and miss. Sometimes he'd do it. Other time he'd refuse. 

I'd bring along dog food as a reward, put it above his nose/head, raise it and say the magic words, "Sit."

A few times I'd get lucky and he'd do it. But there were just as many times when he'd turn his nose away as if to say, I don't want that stuff. And refuse to sit. 

I even had to half force feed him the dog food pellet a few times when he did sit. Shove it in the side of your mouth. Seriously!? Is this a joke?!

I was a little flabberghasted and frustrated at his stubborness. 

I ask you, what kind of a dog refuses food?!

I was starting to wonder if perhaps it was time I reenrolled in doggy obedience classes.

I spoke to his foster carer today asking what treats were used for his training, as apparently he was promptly sitting by Day 2. WTF! We've had him for a week now, and he's still not doing it every time.

Apparently it was cheese, liver treats and dog food.

So off I went to raid the fridge. All I had was vintage gouda. Talk about spoilt puppy dog.

I cut it all up, and put it in my pocket and went out.

"Sit", I say, as I hold the lead in front of them, bracing myself for the worst.

Magically, he sat. 

Larry: I sit all the time, mummy. See????
I didn't even have to get out the cheese!! 

WTF Larry!!! 

Shaking my head, I put the leads on and went for a walk.

Straight out of the gate he was dragging me out. Desperate for freedom.

"Sit!" I cried.

He sat.

WTF!!

She is making *such* a big deal about this. I don't know why. Every one sits, right?
Even my foster mummy said I did great sits. What's the big deal??
 We did it twice again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. To be fair, I didn't ask him to sit for the sake of sitting. He was still pulling really hard!

By the end of the walk, there was only once when I actually had to reward him with cheese. For the rest of it, he sat every time I asked.

 The moral of the story?

Larry does not take me seriously unless I have cheese in my pocket.

My mummy is *such* a drama queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment